La webTV che parla la tua lingua

progetto cofinanziato da
Unione Europea Ministero dell'Interno
Fondo europeo per l’integrazione di cittadini di paesi terzi

Having your documents in order


a)     ENTERING ITALY FROM OTHER EU COUNTRIES: The Schengen Agreement states that those resident in the Schengen Area (Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein) can freely cross the borders of the aforementioned countries.

b)    ENTERING ITALY FROM NON-EU COUNTRIES: Non-EU nationals must have a visa in their passports or on the documents they are travelling with. Some states do not require a tourist visa.

-          Shall I apply for a visa?

Non-EU nationals can apply for a visa at Italian embassies and consulates in their own country or where they have stable residency. Once having legally entered Italy, they will apply for a residence permit within 8 working days.

c)     STAYING IN ITALY FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS:  A residence permit is not required. Foreign persons: Wishing to remain in Italy for reasons associated with study, business, tourism or to visit someone; who wish to stay for a period of no more than 3 months, and who are coming from other Schengen countries, will have to fill in the declaration of presence at the Questura (the Police Station). They have 8 days to do this from the moment they enter Italy. If they are coming from a non-Schengen country they will not require the declaration of presence but only the Schengen passport stamp to be shown at border checks. Should they not comply with the procedure, they will be expelled from the country.

d)    STAYING IN ITALY FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS: Non-UE nationals must apply for a residence permit or a visa if they wish to stay longer than 3 months. They might apply for reasons associated with:

1)     STUDY: they will apply for their visa at the Italian embassy in their countries of residence. Visas will be valid for the entire duration of their studies and will be renewed every year. Foreign persons in possession of a student visa will not be able to work for more than 20 hours a week.

2)     FAMILY REUNION: those applying to reunite with their family will have to be legally residing in the country, be in possession of a long term residence permit or a residence permit for at least 1 year (justified by employed or self-employed work, asylum, study, family or religious reasons).

3)     EMPLOYMENT: foreign persons entering Italy will have to be in possession of a working visa. In order to have this they will need to apply for authorization to work at a Sportello Unico Immigrazione (the one-stop-shop for immigration).

In Italy a person can be employed by an employer (a), can work seasonally (a) or be self-employed (b):

a)     FOR TEMPORARY, PERMANENT AND SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT:  The employer, whether Italian or a foreign person legally residing in Italy, will have to apply at a Sportello Unico Immigrazione (one-stop-shop for immigration) for authorization for the non-EU national (who lives abroad) he wishes to employ. He will also specify the name of the city in which the person will be employed.

b)    SELF-EMPLOYMENT: Foreign persons have to comply with the professional and moral requirements of an Italian. They will apply for a visa at the embassy or consulate.



Please note that this section (Law) has an illustrative purpose and does not replace the regulation in force, which remains the only reliable regulatory authority. 
All articles in this section have been quoted from institutional sources, such as the websites of the State Police and the Ministry of the Interior, which deal with immigration in Italy.  The language has been syntactically and lexically simplified for the purposes of the Web TV in order to make these topics easier to understand and use by immigrants. Complex content and terms have been replaced with more intuitive ones, or have been explained with the use of synonyms or paraphrased at the bottom on the page.

January 7, 2014
Published by


Provincia PU
Comune di Fano
Caritas Diocesana
ass. Millevoci
CSV Marche
ass. MilleMondi
L'Africa Chiama
ass. NuovoOrizzonte
Comunità Montana
Logo Cremi

Iscriviti alla Newsletter